As of today Google finally supports searching over SSL. Expectedly, you can use it via https://www.google.com/.
Firefox’s built-in search capabilities still use the unencrypted search, though. To remedy this I built an OpenSearch plug-in which makes Firefox use the HTTPS-based search:
(Read more about Google’s SSL Search here)
If you are using Firefox with the Adblock Plus add-on, it is quite easy to stop Facebook from tracking you on third-party sites via its Facebook Connect program or by other means. Just add these four rules to Adblock Plus:
||facebook.com$third-party ||facebook.net$domain=~facebook.com,third-party ||fbcdn.com$domain=~facebook.com,third-party ||fbcdn.net$domain=~facebook.com,third-party
Instead of adding the rules manually, you can subscribe to this Adblock Plus filter subscription: Facebook Connect Opt-Out.
Some years ago I switched to using a Speedport W701V from Deutsche Telekom on my ADSL line at home. I set it up in modem-mode and let a small Linux box handle everything else. This setup had worked fine with other modems but shortly after switching to the Speedport I noticed that my local caching DNS server didn’t work correctly anymore. I didn’t really connect the dots at this point, though.
That happened a few days later when I tried to use Apple’s Back to My Mac — it just didn’t work. After some network tracing I found out that the Apple machine sent DNS SOA requests but never got a reply back. It turned out that all SOA request got blocked somewhere. Sending requests to my own name server (
host -t soa blackdown.de ns.blackdown.de) and tracing DNS there showed that no packet ever arrived.
I put the Speedport back into router-mode at this point and, who would have guessed it, SOA requests worked fine again.
After fruitless discussions with Deutsche Telekom support (it was impossible to find anyone who even remotely understood what I was talking about) and sending a bug report to AVM (the 701V actually is a FRITZ!Box) which never got an answer, I finally solved the problem by putting a Freetz firmware on the Speedport. This firmware had an option to disable the PPPoE-Filter. After disabling the filter the device worked flawlessly in modem-mode.
Now, a few days ago, I switched to VDSL and got a new router: a Speedport W920V.
First thing I did was to put it into modem-mode. And there it was again, the DNS SOA problem!
Knowing what the problem was, I found a simpler fix this time:
- Download the configuration from the device
- Manually change
dnsfilter_for_active_directory = yes;to
dnsfilter_for_active_directory = no;in the
- Manually change
ipnetbiosfilter = yes;to
ipnetbiosfilter = no;in the
- Insert a
NoChecks=yesline after the
Country=… line in the header to make the device accept the modified file although its checksum is wrong now
- Upload the modified configuration to the device
(If you have a local NTP server, you also might want to add it to the
server_list in the
ntpclient section while editing the configuration of the Speedport.)
You can get the package by adding
deb http://blog.blackdown.de/static/debian/rhythmbox/ karmic main deb-src http://blog.blackdown.de/static/debian/rhythmbox/ karmic main
After adding those lines, do:
$ sudo aptitude update $ sudo aptitude install rhythmbox
The repositories are signed with my GPG key which can be imported into your apt keyring with
$ wget http://blog.blackdown.de/static/gpg.asc -O - | \ sudo apt-key add -
Please remember to disable the old Last.fm plug-in before enabling mine (New Style Last.fm Scrobbler). Also please note that my plug-in requires the
lastfm client to work correctly.
Read more about the plugin and get the source code at Last.fm for Rhythmbox – New Style.